The display above provides the train number, train type and countdown prediction to departure. In the event of a service delay, predictions may be suspended accompanied by rider notifications above. Also see the Mobile Device Station List.
Frequently Asked Questions
Caltrain provides real-time train departure information at most of the stations* through visual message displays and audio announcements. We’ve created the FAQs to assist customers with understanding what to expect from the system. If you have a question that hasn’t been answered, please let us know by submitting a comment HERE.
What is Caltrain Real-time and where can I find it?
Caltrain Real-time uses a combination of locomotive-equipped Global Positioning System and a rail operating control system to determine train location and departure prediction provided by the scheduled time. The prediction is available at the stations with visual messages, on Caltrain’s website and on the 511 system (website, mobile, phone).
Is Caltrain Real-time actually "real-time"?
The term "real-time" describes the predictive time when Caltrain will depart, not arrive, from a scheduled station. At the Caltrain stations, the system provides status updates if a train is predicted to depart more than 2 minutes late from the scheduled time. On the Caltrain website and 511 the system presents a countdown to the departure time.
What can I expect from "real-time"?
At the station:
- Predictive departure times (next 2 trains within the next 60 minutes)
- Display will show train number, schedule departure time, status update compared to the scheduled time
- "Minutes late" status update
- Audio announcements when train is approaching or train lateness is greater than 5 minutes.
- Predictive countdown to the next departure time (next 3 trains)
- Each station page will display real-time interface (auto-refreshes every minute)
- Drop-down station selection option (does NOT auto-refresh)
- Mobile-friendly web interface option
- Alerts Subscription (email/text message)
- Predictive countdown to the next departure time by route (next 3 trains or within next 90 minutes)
- Drop-down route selection menu (Local, Limited or Baby Bullet)
- Drop-down direction selection menu
- Drop-down station stop menu
I receive this error message on the website: "An error occurred contacting the web service"
This error message is displayed when no data is transferring through the web service. This is temporary and should come back online.
I do not see any predictions on the website.
During a major service interruption, predictions are turned off when in manual mode . Once service is back to normal, predictions will be reactivated.