Quick search on the UniProt website
The UniProt website features a search bar at the top of each page which allows you to search each of the UniProt databases as well as supporting data and various information documents. Simply select a dataset from the drop-down menu to the left of the search box and enter your query (Figure 4). There is also an advanced search option on the right hand side of the search bar and this is described below.
Figure 4. Search bar on the UniProt website.
Advanced search on the UniProt website
The advanced search allows you to progressively build up complex queries by adding one new search term at a time to drill down to a particular data set of interest. Click on the 'Advanced' button to the right of the search box to access this option. For example, you can start off with an initial query for insulin and then further refine it by specifying that you only want to retrieve mouse proteins (Figure 5).
Figure 5. Advanced search on the UniProt website. An initial query for insulin can be further refined using the query builder to include a taxonomic restriction.
In addition to text searches, you can also:
- run sequence-based searches of the UniProt databases;
- perform multiple sequence alignments;
- upload lists of identifiers in batches to retrieve multiple entries in one go;
- map identifiers from an external database to UniProtKB or vice versa.
- Watch movies and shows without any subscriptions on Soap2Day.